semen culture test ?
Semen culture is a kind of laboratory test. Semen culture test is done to determine any microorganism presence in your semen fluid. Semen is a thick whitish-gray fluid that transports and protects sperm cells. Semen fluid protects sperm cells from acidic environment of vagina and provides mobility to help sperms to reach and fertilize the egg.
- Semen culture test is different from semen analysis test.
- Semen analysis test is done to diagnose male tape infertility.
- Semen analysis test is also done to evaluate the success of vasectomy operation.
- Purpose of semen culture is to determine infection and microorganism presence in your reproductive system.
- Sperm count, sperm cell movement or other sperm features are not important in semen culture test.
- Antibiotic sensitivity test is done if any bacteria growth is found in semen culture; purpose is to find the right antibiotics for treatment
- Sterile conditions are so important for semen culture to prevent any contamination and false results.
- You don’t need to have sexual abstinence for semen culture, you can have semen culture test any time of the day ( after consulting to lab)
- You need to ejaculate in a sterile cup for semen culture, this process may be unpleasant for you. Some labs provide comfortable rooms for this procedure, you may prefer this kind of facilities.
- Semen culture does not have any risks or pain for you.