Obstructive azoospermia causes-no sperm count
Azoospermia means no sperm cell presence in semen fluid. In normal conditions sperm concentration ( sperm count) should be at least 15 million sperm cells per mL of semen fluid ( according to WHO). Azoospermia is lack of sperm cells in semen fluid and related with 20% of infertility cases in men.
Sperm concentration is counted sperm cells per mL of semen fluid. Sperm concentration is measured in semen analysis test. Semen analysis test also called spermogram or sperm testing is done to diagnose male tape infertility. Semen fluid and sperm cells are examined and evaluated in semen analysis test. Semen volume, total sperm count, sperm concentration ( sperm count), sperm morphology, sperm motility, semen pH are ealuated in semen analysis test.
Low sperm count is one of the causes of male type infertility , azoospermia means no sperm cells in semen fluid and there are 2 types of azoospermia;
- Obstructive azoospermia
- Non-obstrcutive azoospermia
Causes of obstructive azoospermia no sperm count
Obstructive azoospermia is found in 40% of the azoospermia cases. Obstructive azoospermia is a problem about sperm cell delivery. Sperm cells are produced in testis but can’t move out with semen because of an obstruction in ejaculatory duct. Obstructive azoospermia commonly caused by vasectomy operation and also there can be another causes;
- Vasectomy; is a type of birth control operation that man’s sperm tubes are cut and tied with a surgical operation to prevent sperm cells go out to the urethra and fertilize the egg.
- Infections in testicles, prostate, reproductive tract like prostatitis, epididymitis.
- Trauma or injury of scrotum.
- Genetic-congenital conditions may cause blockage in canals similar to vasectomy like cystic fibrosis.
- Trauma or injury because of a surgical operation of genital organs or operations like hernia repair may cause surgical complications and obstructive azoospermia.