Low semen volume may be a cause of male infertility. In normal conditions semen volume should be at least 1.5 mL according to WHO ( World Health Organisation). Semen volume measurement is a part of semen analysis test. Semen analysis test is a kind of laboratory test that is done to evaluate your semen fluid and sperm cell features.
Semen analysis test has subtitles like; semen volume, sperm count, sperm motility, sperm morpholgy, semen pH, etc. Your doctor may request semen analysis test if you have infertility problem.
Semen volume may change by some physiological problems like retrograde ejaculation and ejaculatory duct obstruction. Also there are some lifestyle factors that may affect semen production.
Your body needs proper conditions and diet for adequate semen production. Healthy lifestyle, healthy diet, vitamins or supplements may affects semen volume. Also some other conditions that may cause low semen volume as listed;
Factors that decrease semen volume
- Dehydration; semen is a water based substance, your body needs water for semen production
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Drugs (marijuana , cocaine, etc)
- Anabolic steroids ; which are used for muscle development
- High temperature; hot tubs, saunas, heated car seats increase testicular temperature and may decrease semen production and sperm quality
- Tight clothes; also may increase temperature and affect semen production
- Obesity ; may cause hormonal imbalance. Your body needs testosterone hormone for semen and sperm production
- Age,testosterone level and semen and production decreases by aging
- Stress ; reduces sexual desire and performance
- Medications; medications like alpha blockers may affect semen volume
- Diseases; hormone imbalances, tumors or infections may reduce semen volume
- Eating too much processed meat and fast food ( unhealthy diet)
- Prolonged sexual abstinence
- Genetic factors
- Environmental toxins